Friday, July 28, 2017

It's Okay To Love Yourself


A few weeks ago I was at a lake with some friends, rocking my two piece. I was feeling pretty confident in my skin, as hairy as it was (got those Italian jeans in me) when my friend asked me, "What are those marks on your side?" I glanced down to check out the web of stretch marks she was pointing out. "Oh ah, those are stretch marks."

It was no big deal. But, it made me feel kind of awkward. Yes, people, Shelby has stretch marks. I also don't shave my armpits because IT'S UNCOMFORTABLE, OKAY? I'm also short, as people have told me more times than I can count. I might seem gross to some, weird, or even "overweight" according to what the BMI chart told me. But, you know what? I'm perfectly fine with it.

if i had a dollar for every time someone called me short

I've battled with my skin and its imperfections for long enough to the point I can safely (it was definitely not safe) say I had a mixture of all those nasty eating disorders. I made war against my own body, my own precious body. Did you know God calls our body a temple? We are precious vessels made by the very breath of God. He formed us with love, with art. We are his art, his workmanship.

Isn't that freaking awesome?

And this is why stretch marks are also freaking awesome: they tell your story. Every scar, mark, roll, and spot of cellulite shape you to be you. Your body has been through so much and protected you through things you didn't even know you needed protection from.

Did you know Jesus wasn't extraordinarily handsome? The Bible says in Isaiah 53:2, "For he grew up before Him like a tender shoot, And like a root out of parched ground; He has no stately formor majesty that we should look upon Him, nor appearance that we should be attracted to Him."

Jesus could have taken on any form he wanted when he came into the world to save us. He could have become the most handsome person this world has ever know. But, instead he took on the form of a lowly man. Instead of being born in a kingdom surrounded by servants, he was born in a stable surrounded by animals.

We seem to have it backwards in this world. We think the best people are those that are young, beautiful, funny, rich, and successful. But, God tells us the first shall be last. The one who loves others and puts the needs of others before our own are the one who deserve the praise.

You know what else? The ones who also love themselves. Not the hippy way the world views it where you only focus on you and just believe in yourself. No. We love ourselves fully and completely how we are right here and now because God made this body. We love ourselves now and until we die. We love the young us and the old us with all its wrinkles and changes.

It is not wrong to love yourself. Loving yourself means being thankful for the art and creation God has made. It's not only the heavens that declare the glory of God! We were made in his IMAGE which I think is even better than what the radiant sky with the thousands of colors it displays.

Just like the details on the petal of a lily, the details on your skin, in the colors of your hair and eyes, the shape of your lips, all of it is a beautiful masterpiece.

I have made peace with my body.

Lord, thank you for this skin that is a home for my soul. Thank you for making me a wildflower. Thank you for making my legs strong so I can run and dance and my voice loud so I can sing and yell and laugh. Thank you for my fingers so I can type these words that will hopefully touch hearts and minds with comfort and hope. But, most of all Lord, thank you for washing this body in your forgiveness.

We are beautiful in you.
SHARE:

7 comments

  1. Man, I may be half Asian, but the white part of me makes me hairy too -_-
    Pretty much the only time I shave is the summer. I used to be more conscious but now I'm like eh. This summer I've only been shaving once a week when I wash my hair and only doing the underarms and the lower legs XD The key is exfoliation and lots of moisturizing suds!
    But true, gurl. I used to be skinnier and then I went to the Philippines in 2013 and gained like a good 20-25 pounds cause I was just lazy and I've pretty much never really lost it, but I have gotten stronger and turned some of that "fat" into "muscle" at least XD
    How short are you? 0_o Just curious? I've got a friend, half Fil half Viet that is around 4'9" and another half white half asian who is around 4'11". Its ok though ^_^ God made us all unique and def doesn't want us to be ashamed. I'm glad you're confident and love your body. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm 5' 1"! I've just learned to embrace that I'm Italian, so I'm going to be curvy and hairy. But, at least I have those dark brows and a thick head of hair. XD I'm so glad you're still here!! I missed you a lot.

      Delete
    2. 5'1" isn't that bad! XD But, agreed! I have a lot of hair on my head and I like it that way. And I missed you too! ^_^

      Delete
  2. Italians are some of the most gorgeous people. :D (<<Just an opinion with lots of proof. XD) You're gorgeous too Shelbs, I've always thought so! I know it's hard to believe when family and friends are the ones telling you, but I'm not lying to you. You are above average. XD ❤️ Thank you for writing this though, because I struggle with appreciating my body too, whether it's thinking I'm fat or not pretty. It's a struggle! But not one too great if we have Jesus. ❤️ -Abbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. You do such a great job of putting difficulties into words and then dealing with them! I wish I could.

    ReplyDelete

© MIXED WHIMSY. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates made by pipdig