Saturday, July 29, 2017

The U.N.I.T // Aesthetics (and a brief rant)

 I'm obsessed with making my Pinterest story boards as aesthetic and pretty as possible, it's not even funny. Pictures do such a good job of telling a story. I've hit a bit of a rut in The U.N.I.T right now. I'm so close to be finished with Part 1 of 3, but I'm starting to lack the motivation to just get it done. I thought it would be fun to share a bit of my aesthetics for the story and share something that's been on my mind.

I've been working on this story for a few years now. It's changed into something completely different than when it first was born out of a hobbit obsession. Now, it's almost like a personal journal of my emotions. Whatever I'm feeling when I write, my characters are feeling it in some way or another. Or sometimes something I've never felt before and write about will be something I feel later on. It's crazy to look back at the beginnings of The U.N.I.T and seeing the things my characters went through.

This is how I wish all writing was. We need more books out there that people can relate to. My main character is named Margret Kurt, she goes by MK or Marty. On the outside, this story might seem like any other cliche post apocalyptic book about teenagers being epic heroes and grownups being the villains, but within it is something much deeper and real. MK is not a hero. She is broken, feels depression and anxiety, and is constantly at war with her own mind.


Something I get so sick of in YA books is those badbutt female characters who know how to hunt, never seem to have a period, know how to fight, are extremely brave, always save the guy, and are witty and intense. I don't know about you, but I've never met someone in real life like Katniss, Tris, or Celaena Sardothien. We're all humans. We all break, we say awkward things, do awkward things, make mistakes, and deal with battles in our minds. I'm not saying none of these characters never had a breaking moment. But, real people have them all the time.

I didn't go through half the things any of these characters have faced, and they still seemed to be doing better than I am mentally. I want to write characters that feel pain you will feel and feel joy you will feel. I want people to read my books and nod their heads the whole way through because they can relate. They feel for my characters because what they feel is real. It's real emotions woven into words from my heart. The things my characters go through are what I go through.

MK gets scared; she gets scared a lot. Some people will call her weak when they read it. They'll call her silly or dramatic. But, what if your life was written down on paper? What if your life was your story and you were the main character? I know that if I was a character, there'd constantly be ups and downs. I'd feel great and ready to battle the evil one day and unsure the next.

That's just how real life is. 

If we could break the cliche of "strong female characters" who aren't even human, maybe it wouldn't so radical to read a book where people are afraid, have panic attacks, cry a lot, and have thousands of emotions they experience ever day.

My characters are real, deal with sin, and have complicated lives. Anyway, that's it. That's all I have to say.


Now, here's some pictures that give you an idea of what the colors/themes/and aesthetics of the book are:




















You can also check out my Spotify Playlist for my book by searching 'shelby.genco.' My story playlist is titled, 'The U.N.I.T.'


SHARE:

2 comments

  1. This sounds absolutely beautiful, oh my goodness. I love how real your character sounds. I would love to read this one day. :) <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, I like my characters to have me in them. I can never quite find a character that is quite like me. So, one of these days I'm planning on actually writing something! I've got some characters... but not much of an idea for a plot, necessarily. I feel like I'm waiting for that to "come to me". Luckily, I have pretty inventive dreams and I get a lot of ideas from them. But nothing truly sticks out so far. Or I have plot ideas but no characters to go with them.

    ReplyDelete

© MIXED WHIMSY. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates made by pipdig