Tuesday, September 20, 2016

people need people.


"As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another." (Proverbs 27:17)

People need people, and that's just that. We can't survive without each other. We need human interaction not just to survive as a race, but to live.

A few years ago my Mom found me huddled in my closet surrounded by neglected school books and crying my eyes out. "Mom, I can't do this!" I whimpered. "I have so much school and no friends! I just don't know what to do." I confessed, with huge tears streaming down my face. I remember how swollen with loneliness my heart was, and it's a feeling I have always hated.

Then, it really had been true. I really did not have a friend I could pour my heart out too. I had lost my best friend a few years before that and had been struggling ever since to find true friendship again.

Now I am almost 18 years old. Since the day I suddenly realized I am almost an adult and nearly finished with high school, a lot has been on my mind. One such thing is friendship. Upon examining my past and present relationships I came to realize a few things.

Lately I've been trying not to spiral down into a dark pit of depression. A lot has happened to me and my family over the past few months in which my friendships and faith were tested. I began feeling like I had no one again, like I was an outsider. It wasn't even until recently I realized how miserable I was being over almost nothing. I wasn't letting anyone in. I wasn't making any new friends because I wasn't trying. Guys, sometimes you have to go up to the person and say, "Hey, how are you?" Instead of waiting for them to come up to you.

You have to let people in. We were not made to sit and wallow in our own troubles and problems. We need someone we can pour our hearts out to, someone we can trust. It will never happen over one conversation though. Friendships take time and effort, something I'm still learning myself. Anything worth something takes time.

Another thing about friendship that has been pressing on me is this: don't let your happiness depend on your friends. Last month I received news one of my only friends at church might be leaving. I cried for hours that day. Part of the tears were because I loved my friend and didn't want to see her go, but most of them were from self pity. I didn't want her to leave, then I'd be alone. I wouldn't have someone I already trusted I could talk to. I would have to start all over again. I was letting my friendship determine how I felt. I realized I was only happy at church when my friend was there. 

Happiness doesn't come from possessions or people, it comes from inside you. But, fellowship and growth comes from people, and those are two very important things.

I know it's hard for some of us to make new friends. We're afraid to open up, that they can't handle how messed I up we are. Well, here's news: we're all messed up. All of us are messy messed up people living in a messy messed up world. But, by God's mercy he had formed our messy selves into something beautiful. Don't say you don't have any friends or talents or beauty. Don't say you're not enough or you can't, because you can. You can go out there and make friends because you need to grow. You do have talents and you are beautiful because you were designed by a perfect and loving Father. 

I want you to get off my blog and your phone or computer  right now and do something for me. I want you to text, email, write, call, talk, or meet with someone, maybe even someone new. It doesn't have to be anything complicated, in fact all it really takes is:

"Hi, I'm _________. What's your name?" 

Who knows, maybe it could be the start of an epic friendship.
SHARE:

3 comments

  1. Wow. This was me all last year. I had finally made good friends the year before ('14) and then both of our dad's retired from the military and we moved separate ways. I had an aching in my heart for a friend and I cried a lot and felt so lonely. But I also prayed a lot, that God would provide me with at least one really good friend. After 19 months of living with grandparents and not having friends or even opportunities to make friends my family moved into our own house in a new city and found a church. Since then God has really answered my prayers for friends, and now I have so many people to talk to after church it's almost overwhelming! "My cup runs over" indeed! It's still hard, and making acquaintances was by no means a piece of cake. But one friend I have I met her the way you recommend – before plopping myself down in a chair for youth service I introduced myself to the table of girls. After the service one of them began a conversation with me, and now we're friends! It's pretty awesome that God gave me the courage to do that in the first place, and then gave me a friend out of someone I had never even noticed before. Thank you so much for sharing your story and these tips! I hope it encourages more girls who've been lonely and longing for friendship like us. <3 <3 <3 -Abbie C.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for sharing this with me. <3 I'm so happy that you have found a church with people and friends who love you! And I'm glad you were encouraged by my post. Making friends is like you said, "by no means a piece of cake," but it is so worth the effort!

      Delete
  2. Oh my goodness! You're only 17? :0 About to be 18?? :O
    For some reason I thought you were older XD You sound older XD But thats not a bad thing ^_^
    I've never really struggled to make friends, per say, (I can be pretty talkative, but I am really wierd). I'm an only child and I learned a long time ago to get on well by just being by myself, but I certainly do love friends :D They make life so much more enjoyable! And I dunno why exactly, but I've made a lot of new friends and have just plain talked to more people in the past... two months? Than like the whole year! And I love it :) I almost forgot what it was like to... have a lot of people to talk to at work or school but now that I'm doing it again, its great and I look forward to work and class more :) And I thank God, I really do, because I can be... not depressed when I don't talk to my friends and stuff, but I get... I don't know how to describe it, but I get very... like all I need is myself and I don't need others. But, I'm a better person when I have friends to hold me accountable and to keep my sane XD I feel like i'm blabbing a bit... I had an early shift XD But, I just wanna say that I can def relate and Thank God for friends! ^_^

    ReplyDelete

© MIXED WHIMSY. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates made by pipdig